Wednesday, September 13, 2006

"He died doing what he loved"

Ok, I know it's a tad late, but yes I did hear about Steve Erwin the other week. I'm sure a lot of people feel the same way that I did when I heard it too - yeah that sucks since he was a cool guy and he's leaving a family behind, but given what he did it was just a matter of time and what would do him in. I also wonder if his kids (yes, he did reproduce) will follow in daddy's footsteps and carry on the family business - after all, his wife used to go on little adventures with him, right?

So yeah, it was brought to my attention that the phrase on the lips of many a newcaster when pressed on the issue was "he died doing what he loved", which is true but very bland. And what's up with that phrase anyway? I mean, it's not like you would ever say that about a drug addict, although it's basically just as true. It's always saved for people that risk their lives doing weird (yet cool) stuff like croc wrestlers, snake pokers, monkey tamers, daredevils, racecar drivers, etc. What up with that? If some frat brat died of alcohol poisoning, or someone died mid-coitus or something I wouldn't say something like that, would you? What about if someone dies in their sleep - and they really, really like sleeping? Like they're always oversleeping and what not. Hmm... maybe it has something to do with dying while doing your job... if you like your job that is. I couldn't see someone saying that about someone dying at a desk job, but then again not too many people keel over and die on their desks.

Ok, that's all I got.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I thought for a minute that it said "monkey tanners" instead of "monkey tamers". I was a bit confused as to why a monkey would want a tan.