Friday, November 10, 2006

An overdue update

Ok, so let's see - what's happened since last time... well lately I've actually been feeling rather stressed. Not really because of work, but more because even when I'm not at work I hardly feel like I'm relaxed. Any suggestions on relaxing activities I should get into? I'm reeeeally looking forward to heading down to Tokyo in a week for exactly that reason. There's a national mid-year conference for CIRs starting the 20th, so they gave me a rack load of skrill and told me to make reservations for myself... which of course means that I have $$$ left for, let's just say "extracurricular activities". So yeah, I'm going down the weekend before and know enough people in the greater Tokyo area to enjoy myself for that week. I'm basically thinking of it as a fully paid vacation, which is just what the doctor ordered!

So yeah, there was a pretty cool event last weekend after the Halloween party for Guy Fawkes Day with fireworks and a bonfire and burning stuff and... stuff. I don't feel like explaining it right now, so you'll have to settle for pictures. Wiki is awesome though - basically it's a Brit thing.






Now for those of you that have witnessed my phenominal dancing prowess (not really), you may be inclined to believe this is what the kids call a "raver", but you would be mistaken. He is a frequent client of the local party scene, but in this particular case those aren't glow sticks but rather actual balls of fire stuck to strings. He's doing what is apparently a traditional Maori (NZ) fire dance - you should've heard the "oohs" and "aahs" when he smacked them against his arms... and crotch. If you have the chance I urge you to check it out sometime - mail me and I can send you a video I took with my killer phone.

1 comment:

Doug said...

Someone posted a video on youtube of the Maori dance, apparently known as "poi".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqDN0sVKUoY